Flowers make for great gifts for any occasion, and can even come in handy for expressing condolences. With a bouquet of bright flowers, you can make a nice impression that can last long even after you have gone back home. However, flowers cannot last for a long time. That said, there are some easy ways to keep them fresh for more time and extend their lifespan.
What are Some General Flower Care Tips?
- Cut 1 – 2 inches off flower stems using garden shears, at an angle that permits better intake of water. After the cut at the beginning, trim the bouquet again after every few days.
- Remove / prune leaves under the watering line, to prevent growth of bacteria and lend a better appearance to your bouquet. It can also make flowers open up better. Following the pruning at the start, keep removing loose petals and / or dead leaves to prevent rotting due to bacteria.
- Water well and add flower food just enough to achieve a nice consistency. Clean the vase well and change flower food and water after every 2 – 3 days.
- Keep the flower vase away from high heat / cold, direct sunlight etc as well as ripening fruits. Fruits, while ripening, release small quantity of ethylene gas that can reduce the lifespan of your flowers.
Innovative Flower Care Techniques
You can choose any of these household objects and add them in your bouquet / vase to keep flowers fresh for longer time.
- Coins – Copper pennies act like acidifiers, and can prevent bacterial rotting of flowers. Add 1 – 2 to your fresh bouquet, and take them away after a few days.
- Bleach – Add a quarter tsp of bleach to the vase, to avoid bacterial breeding and water in vase going cloudy.
- Flower Food – Add some flower food into the vase, to ensure fresh flowers for more time.
- Aspirin – Crush an aspirin and add it into the flower vase to reduce acidity of water, and avoiding floral wilting.
- Soda – Pour a quarter cup of soda into the vase. It can make flowers last longer and emitting a sweeter smell.
- Vodka – Your flowers love vodka too, as the spirit helps reduce the production of ethylene and prevents floral wilting. In fact, any pure spirit can do that.
You may also try keeping the bouquet in your fridge before going to bed every night. Around 8 hours of cooler temperature can make it last longer.
For more information, visit https://mybageecha.com/